It’s been a Year since I started Swimming in the Adult Pool
I’ve had some time to reflect back on what it is I may have gained from testing the waters in the blogging scene. I have to admit I’ve learned a lot. I’ve made a ton of mistakes, lost a bet to a Duck, and even had a few victories along the way. I got the chance to read some top notch writing from some equally top notch people and I’m glad I’ve experienced it all. So what did I learn?
I Learned that…
- I knew diddly squat about SEO.
- I knew even less about CSS, HTML 5, and PHP.
- I have an inner comedian dwelling within my brain who considers this blog to be the center stage of stand up comedy. Whether I like it or not.
- Dragon Speak and I were destined never to see eye to eye and that I might have possibly given the next door neighbor the impression that I was an axe murderer. Which I’m not. Only towards Dragon.
- Guest posting is fun, being featured on BlogHer even more fun.
- Making a bet with a Duck about writing in the NaNoWriMo contest was not one of my brighter moves. Bragging that I could write the necessary amount of words required, in my sleep no less, was an even bigger mistake. Because the Duck always makes sure bets lost are bets paid. And I paid.
- The quickest way for me to go cross eyed was to try to figure out how to make and then submit my blog’s sitemap to search engines. And that staring at an xml tree was a migraine in waiting.
- Writing my dreams my way and in my style may not make me a superstar but I’m okay with that. I’m content with being the Walter Mitty of the adult ADHD crowd.
- That image formats for my posts do not look the same, ie: neat and tidy, as soon as I hit publish. Go figure, I’m still working on that one.
- Spiders have a sacred vow to get me while I drive. Targeting my nether cheeks for trucker’s amusement.
- How my adult ADHD impacted my life far more than I had ever known possible and the limitations weren’t immovable like I had previously surmised.
- YouTube vids are much harder to make than I could’ve guessed.
- Audios of the Duck’s homework battles were fun to do, but just as time consuming as YouTube.
- Receiving the awards for Versatile Blogger and the Liebster Awards were week makers for me, not just a single day.
- Poison ivy monsters are no joke.
- Showing my son that you can do what you love is possible, even if it’s never going to be something that could be a career. That sucks but at least I know. Knowing is half the battle, right?
- How much hate I have towards any type of DIY home projects.
- How much fun I’ve had during the past year and what a wonderful escape it is to come to, even if just for a stolen moment or two.